It’s this time of the year again!
The “I’m-actually-enjoying-staying-outdoors” time of the year! 🙂
Aside from the beautiful view of the ocean and the great people watching, did you know there are 9 known health benefits of walking on the beach?
1. 🌊 Walking in sand requires a greater effort than walking on a hard surface. Your muscles and tendons will work harder as your foot moves around.
2. 🌊 Walking at a slower pace while your feet sink in sand requires more effort than walking fast or even jogging.
3. 🌊 Walking in sand requires 2.1 to 2.7 times more energy than walking on hard surfaces.
4. 🌊 Jogging in sand uses 1.6 times more energy than jogging on hard surfaces.
5. 🌊 Walking on a beach in the sand is so relaxing that most people walk further distances than they normally would on treadmills, tracks or city streets. Pedometer steps increase without effort.
6. 🌊 Instead of pounding your joints and feet on hard pavement, sand acts as a natural cushion.
7. 🌊 Studies say that most of us our Vitamin D deficient. You will soak up natural Vitamin D from the sun as you stroll.
8. 🌊 Health advocates say that walking barefoot grounds us. At the very least, it reconnects us to nature’s beauty which helps reduce stress as life finds perspective.
9. 🌊 For most of us burning calories is one of the benefits of any exercise. One the primary benefits of walking on a beach is that you will use 20 to 50 percent more calories than you would walking at the same pace on a hard surface.
Are you enjoying long walks by the beach?